Managing Director of Grand Africa Safaris
Market related plus annual profit share plus long term incentive plan
Arusha / Cape Town / United States
Diploma / Degree
JOB DESCRIPTION (OVERVIEW)
We hire creative thinkers who have a pragmatic business mind, an entrepreneurial spirit, an international outlook, and an appreciation for luxury. We look for the pursuit of excellence and the capacity to look to the future while staying true to the DNA of our brand. Candidates with these qualities will thrive at Grand Africa Safaris.
Grand Africa Safaris is a leading luxury African safari company based out of Arusha, Tanzania and is part of the Ker & Downey® Africa Group.
We are only interested in the very best candidates who have relevant experience and a proven network in East African luxury travel.
The ideal candidate will have experience in sales and marketing, operations and finance and have an active interest in the use of technology. A rounded knowledge of the travel agency, DMC and accommodation business models is a plus.
Working with the board of directors, and existing sales leaders, the successful candidate will be responsible for developing and executing on a new strategic direction for the company in a Post-COVID world.
Please contact [email protected] for further information.
Position – Specific Responsibilities
- Build trust with the executive team and stakeholders, acting as a sparring partner in developing and executing an aggressive direct to consumer and trade (source market dependent) strategy that leverages the existing intangible assets of the company. This will necessarily mean new customer acquisition, long-term account management, ensuring growth in all revenue streams (new business, renewals and account expansions).
- Forecast and manage a sales pipeline to meet revenue targets and company goals.
- Build and manage a sales and operations team to create a lean organisation able to develop, manage, control and report the existing and new pipeline, creating an organisation which acts consistently on the ground.
- Develop and convert trade opportunities into long term customers through an efficient sales process, addressing relationships at the appropriate level.
- Drive the adoption of new and innovative remote sales and marketing tactics in light of COVID travel restrictions.
Position – Critical Priorities
- Deliver trade relationships in North America, the United Kingdom & Scandinavia, Australisia and SouthEast Asia.
- Deliver strategic alliances with existing travel networks and host agencies.
- Bring across your own concrete network, to create long term relationships.
Requirements (“must haves”)
- Degree / MBA, with 10+ years’ Sales or Executive Management experience in 1) a destination management company or 2) a safari operator or hotel / accommodation provider or 3) a luxury travel agency. The focus on the Luxury Travel sector is a must.
- Sales & marketing experience that implies in-depth understanding of the luxury travel market. Track record will provide evidence of strong performances of revenue growth (winning new key accounts and growth in business(es) from key accounts), exceeding performance metrics, innovation and adoption of new tactics and ideas to out-maneuver the competition.
- Ability to monitor the company’s competitors, new products, and market conditions to adapt strategy as needed.
- Business judgement demonstrated by: 1) ability to negotiate and close deals effectively, 2) ability to manage the post-sales relationships through own teams and/or external partners, 3) appropriate management of proprietary sensitive information, 4) proactive problem resolution.
- Strong communication and presentation skills, both written and verbal, to drive the scale up of the business, at local and international levels.
- Organised, able to prioritize tasks for him or herself and others, able to influence and manage a (disperse) team effectively. Prior experience of multiple streams / multiple projects will represent a plus.
- Ability to combine the necessary autonomy intrinsic in the role with close relationships with both the Executive Team and Stakeholders, in the light of building a journey of value.
- Ability to manage pressure and deadlines and address consistent flow of information for business reviews.
- Highly dependable, self-starter, will act with high energy and positive attitude, establishing trust and credibility inside and outside the company.